BLUE STAR MEMORIAL

      The Blue Star Memorial Marker Program of the National Garden Clubs, Inc. began in 1945 to honor the men and women serving in the Armed Forces during World War II.  The name chosen for the star on flags displayed in homes and businesses denoting a family member serving.  Garden Clubs pictured a ribbon of living memorial plantings traversing every state.  The designation of Blue Star Highways was achieved through petitions to the state legislatures and cooperation with the Departments of Transportation.  A uniform marker was designed to identify the Highways.

      The Blue Star Memorial Program grew to extend thousands of miles across continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii.  All men and women who have served, are serving, or will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States are included.

      Markers continue to be dedicated each year on highways, Veterans' facilities, National Cemeteries, parks, and civic and historic sites, showing our appreciation for those who defend our country.

      Staten Island's Helen Cusack, a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps and Bronze Star recipient along with Ruth Alexander were instrumental in establishing the Blue Star Memorial Marker located at Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island, NY.  Helen was a member of the former South Shore Garden Club and then of the Great Kills Garden Club until her passing at 93.  Helen was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia.



Evelia Foster - Blue Star Memorial Chair
     Blue Star Ceremony - Veterans Day                                 2022